Fort Meade in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort George G. Meade
—United States Army —
Rising two stories from a raised basement to a gabled roof originally covered with slate shingles, the planes of the roof rise to a flat deck defined by a balustrade. A major design element within the roof is an octagonal cupola centrally located on the roof deck. Entrances to the building are framed by neoclassical style porticos.
On June 15, 1947, this building was occupied by the Second United States Army headquarters. On January 1, 1966, the complete merger of the First and Second U.S. Armies brought First U.S. Army headquarters to Hodges Hall.
This building named in honor of General Courtney H. Hodges. General Hodges commanded the First U.S. Army from August 1944 to January 1949.
This plaque erected in 1996 by the Fort Meade Museum.
Erected 1996 by Fort Meade Museum.
Location. 39° 5.823′ N, 76° 44.29′ W. Marker is in Fort Meade, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort George G Meade MD 20755, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Maj. Gen. Ralph H. Van Deman (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Post Hospital (approx. 0.2 miles away); 18th Century French Mortar (approx. ¼ mile away); White Oak (approx. ¼ mile away); Major General George G. Meade (approx. 0.3 miles away); 29th Infantry Division, United States Army (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dedicated to all American Ex-Prisoners of War (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Battle of the Bulge (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Meade.
Categories. • 20th Century • Military • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 721 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 5, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.