New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
After the Revolutionary War, Trinity donated land for new streets to help rebuild a shattered New York. Street names reflecting the church’s presence include Vestry, Rector and Church, as well as Vesey and Barclay (named for two of Trinity’s early rectors) – and, of course Trinity Place. In that same spirit, Trinity Church has made countless contributions to New York’s well-being, including social programs for 19th-century immigrants, Depression-era soup kitchens and shelters for today’s homeless.
The first Trinity Church building perished in the Great Fire of 1776. Following the demolition of its successor in 1839, Trinity engaged English-born architect Richard Upjohn, who imagined the new Trinity as an idyllic English Gothic country church – his rendering shown above reveals no hint of Trinity’s location at one of the city’s busiest intersections.
Erected by The Alliance for Downtown New York, Inc.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks, and the Signers of the Declaration of Independence marker series.
Location. 40° 42.47′ N, 74° 0.702′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway and Wall Street, on the right when traveling south on Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10006, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Trinity Church (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Trinity Church (a few steps from this marker); The American Institute of Architects Queen Elizabeth II (a few steps from this marker); The Wall (a few steps from this marker); Site of the Wall of New Amsterdam (a few steps from this marker); New York State Society of the Cincinnati (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain James Lawrence & Lieutenant Augustus C. Ludlow (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
More about this marker. The top right of the marker features a “Birds-eye view of Trinity Church by Richard Upjohn, 1847” which depicts it as an English Gothic country church. The left of the marker contains a picture of King William III, whose “charter mandated that the Vestry of Trinity Church pay rent of ‘one pepper-corne’ annually to the Crown.” Next to this is a picture of Britain's reigning monarch with the caption “When Queen Elizabeth II visited Trinity Church during the American Bicentennial in 1976, the Vestry’s Dr. Robert Ray Parks presented her with 279 peppercorns in back rent.” Below these are two photographs. One is of an African woman
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take a tour of the markers in lower Manhattan erected by the Alliance for Downtown New York, Inc.
Also see . . . Trinity Church. Burned During War, Trinity is Home to Monuments, Hamilton Grave. New York Freedom Trail website. (Submitted on June 5, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 830 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 5, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.