Near Vineland in Mille Lacs County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Vineland Historical Marker
The settlement was visited by Father Hennepin in 1680. About 1750 the Chippewa moving westward from Lake Superior, captured the village, and by this decisive battle drove the Sioux permanently into southern Minnesota.
Erected 1952 by Minnesota Department of Highways (MHD). (Marker Number ML-KAN-006.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
Location. 46° 9.8′ N, 93° 45.55′ W. Marker is near Vineland, Minnesota, in Mille Lacs County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 169 and Vineland Road, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 169. Touch for map. The marker is on the western shore of Mille Lacs Lake. The site is on the Mille Lacs Reservation and within Mille Lacs Kathio State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Onamia MN 56359, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lake Mille Lacs Walleye ( approx. 9.5 miles away); William A. Tauer ( approx. 9.6 miles away); Mille Lacs Lake ( approx. 9.6 miles away).
More about this marker.
The current site was developed in 1952 by the Minnesota Department of Highways. The plans were drawn in February of 1952. Two stone and concrete benches originally in front of the marker are currently missing.
The granite for the marker was obtained from a quarry near Isle, a community located on the southeastern shore of Mille Lacs Lake.
Also see . . . Minnesota DOT page for this marker. Included on this page is a brief description of the marker and the history behind it. (Submitted on June 8, 2009, by Martha Decker of Shakopee, Minnesota.)
Additional keywords. Ojibwe Ojibway Dakota
Categories. • 20th Century • Exploration • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2009, by Martha Decker of Shakopee, Minnesota. This page has been viewed 1,509 times since then and 94 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2009, by Martha Decker of Shakopee, Minnesota. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.