Galion in Crawford County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
U.S.S. Constitution Cannon
The Constitution, build in 1797, saw action in the Barbary Coast War and the War of 1812. After many battles, the frigate was ordered destroyed in 1830, but public sentiment saved it for rebuilding. In 1855 it was retired as a training ship, was rebuilt and re-activated in 1877, and was drydocked and repaired as a memorial on its 100th anniversary in 1897.
In 1930, Congress appropriated $300,000 to put “Old Ironsides” back to sea to turn in 22,000 miles visiting American ports before final retirement and dismantlement in 1933.
Galion Mayor Wilbur M. King obtained one of “Old Ironsides” cannons through a navy friend and it was brought to Galion in 1934 with shipping costs paid by L.M. Ligget, then president of Hercules Products, Inc. The cannon stood in front of the Hercules Sherman Street plant until 1962.
It was placed here by Galion Lodge 71 of the Fraternal Order of Police as a part of a memorial to all Ohio Law Enforcement officers dedicated on Oct. 15, 1967.
Erected by City of Galion, Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 71, and Galion Lions Club.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is near the entrance to Galion Reservoir Park. Marker is in this post office area: Galion OH 44833, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Galion Veterans Memorial / Flag Plaza (approx. 2.1 miles away); Big Four Depot (approx. 2.2 miles away); Ohio Central College (approx. 3.3 miles away); Harding Birthplace (approx. 5.4 miles away); Olentangy Battle (approx. 5.9 miles away); Seccaium (approx. 5.9 miles away); To the Memory of Colonel Wm. Crawford (approx. 6.2 miles away); Crestline Community Service Center (approx. 6˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galion.
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Government • Military • War of 1812 • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,395 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 8, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.