Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Whyte House / White Building
The west wing of this building was
constructed in 1920 and is named
in honor of
James Primrose Whyte
Dean and beloved Professor of
Literature and Sociology at
Anderson College from 1918 to 1922.
John E. White Building
Constructed in 1960
This building is named in honor of
Dr. John Ellington White
Orator, Scholar and Dynamic President of
Anderson College from 1916 to 1927.
Location. 34° 30.8′ N, 82° 38.267′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker can be reached from Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is located on the south side of the building, on the campus of Anderson University. Marker is at or near this postal address: 316 Boulevard, Greenville SC 29601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pratt Hall ( within shouting distance of this marker); Sullivan Music Building ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Denmark Hall ( about 500 feet away); Abney Athletic Center ( about 600 feet away); Anderson College Infirmary ( about 600 feet away); The H.H. Watkins Teaching Center ( about 700 feet away); The J.E. Rouse Dormitory ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Virginia "Jennie" Gilmer ( approx. half a mile away); McGee Harness Shop ( approx. 0.7 miles away); Frierson School House ( approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
Also see . . .
1. Anderson University. Official website of Anderson University. (Submitted on June 8, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Anderson University (South Carolina). Anderson University is a private university located in Anderson, South Carolina, offering bachelors and masters degrees in approximately 50 areas of study. (Submitted on June 8, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Anderson College Historic District. In the spring of 1910 the Anderson Chamber of Commerce inaugurated a subscription campaign to raise money to build a college for young women in Anderson. (Submitted on June 8, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Dr. John Ellington White
Dr. White was born at Clayton, near the City of Raleigh, North Carolina, December 19, 1868, son of James McDaniel and Martha (Ellington) White. His father was also a Baptist minister, and his mother was a daughter of Rev. John Ellington, a Baptist clergyman. Rev. James McDaniel White was also an officer in Hampton's Legion and the Confederate army.
John Ellington White was educated in the schools of North Carolina and in 1890 graduated with honors and the degree of Bachelor of Arts from Wake Forest College in North Carolina. Up to that time he had contemplated the profession of law. While teaching in Mars Hill College in Western North Carolina in 1891 he realized a definite calling to the ministry. He was ordained a Baptist minister in 1892 and served as pastor of the church at Edenton, North Carolina, from 1893 to 1895. In 1915 Wake Forest College gave him the degree Doctor of Divinity. He was unanimously elected, and from 1896 to 1901 served as mission secretary of North Carolina for the State Baptist Convention. Under his leadership the mission work was more than doubled. In 1900 he was
Doctor White has been distinguished not only for fearless leadership but by a breadth of vision and clearness of thinking which make leadership worthy of the name. An eloquent preacher, he has been concerned primarily with inspiring the cultured audiences in his own churches with his own sense of responsibility for the education and enlightenment of the masses of people. He has long been identified with educational movements that have brought him to the remoter sections of the South, and is one of the recognized leaders of the South in the work of adjustment which seeks to improve and harmonize the relations between the white and black races.
While in Atlanta Doctor White served as head of the Law and Order Committee of the Atlanta Ministry Association,
Doctor White has found time in the midst of a busy career for the duties of authorship. His published works are Silent Southerners, published in 1906; My Old Confederates, published in 1908; Prohibition, the New Task of Opportunity of the South, published in 1908; joint author of The Man that Rum Made, published in 1912; and Southern Highlanders, published in 1913.
October 12, 1892, Doctor White married Erne I. Guess, of Cary, North Carolina. They are the parents of two sons and one daughter. (Source: History of South Carolina by Yates Snowden, pgs 143-144.)
2. Vandiver Hall (Whyte House / John E. White Building)
Known originally as the Whyte House, in honor of Dean James P. Whyte, this three-story brick building over brick basement is constructed with cast stone and wood accents. Its lateral linear masses differentiates it from the other main buildings on the front campus, not only in its orientation but also in that it is organized with a central core featuring a five-bay wide, full height, pilastered and pedimented pavilion, projecting end pavilions, a ground level with cast stone water table separating it from the piano nobile, and finally a classical entablature and roof-level ornamentation such as symmetrical, pedimented cross gables and a central cupola. The first or main entry level is characterized by a three-bay cast stone central entrance, the middle one of which features a scrolled pediment, and eight-over-eight-light, double-hung sash windows within semicircular blind brick arches. These windows contain cast stone imposts, brick voussoirs, and a central cast stone lozenge motif. The central pavilion's second and third stories are dominated by six cast stone Ionic order pilasters. All windows on the upper levels are eight-over-eight-light sash except for the second floor central windows of each and pavilion, where there are six-over-six and surrounded by cast stone moulding,
— Submitted June 8, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 955 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 8, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.