Leavenworth in Leavenworth County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The City of Leavenworth
In September, type for the first regular weekly newspaper in Kansas was set under an elm tree on the levee. The newspaper came in "even before our sins," a journalist wrote later. Within four years, Leavenworth's population had soared beyond 10,000 as steamboats and freighting wagons, supplying Western forts and the ever-advancing frontier, made business boom.
"Buffalo" Bill Cody, William T. Sherman, and Fred Harvey were early area residents before they won fame respectively as army scout and showman, Civil War general, and restaurateur. Abraham Lincoln, on a speaking tour, spent four days here in December 1859. The Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth, established in 1858, operates nearly 100 schools and colleges, including nearby St. Mary.
Prisons abound near Leavenworth. South, at Lansing, are the state penitentiary and women's industrial farm, while north of the city are the U. S. disciplinary barracks at Fort Leavenworth and the federal penitentiary. The historic Fort Leavenworth - Fort Gibson military road, laid out in 1837, passed near this marker. (Marker Number 90.)
Marker series. Kansas Historical Society marker series.
Location. 39° 19.726′ N, 94° 55.025′ W. Marker is in Leavenworth, Kansas, in Leavenworth County. Marker is on Metropolitian Street (State Highway 92) ¼ mile north of State Highway 7, on the right. Touch for map. This marker is a third of a mile west of the Missouri River bridges on K-92. Marker is in this post office area: Leavenworth KS 66048, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Anthonys (approx. half a mile away); The First Public Park in Kansas (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Paul Lutheran Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bleeding Kansas (approx. 0.7 miles away); Leavenworth (approx. 0.7 miles away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (approx. 0.7 miles away); A Lasting Friendship (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leavenworth.
More about this marker. This marker is in a small gravel turnout on the north side of K-92 (Metropolitan Street near the junction of K-7.
Categories. • Exploration • Forts, Castles • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 10, 2009, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas. This page has been viewed 1,021 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 10, 2009, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of Fort Leavonworth, St. Mary, prisons and historical buildings mentioned in marker text. • Can you help?