Scranton in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1902 Roundhouse Oﬃce
Built in 1902, the roundhouse office is one of the oldest surviving buildings in the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western's Scranton yard.
Throughout the steam era, the roundhouse foreman was responsible for each locomotive that entered the roundhouse complex. He supervised inspections, adjustments, repairs, and cleaning. The office's location allowed the foreman to observe and control all locomotive traffic entering or leaving the turntable and roundhouse area.
Erected by Steamtown Nataionl Historic Site - National Park Service.
Location. 41° 24.468′ N, 75° 40.28′ W. Marker is in Scranton, Pennsylvania, in Lackawanna County. Marker can be reached from Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located next to the roundhouse in Steamtown National Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Scranton PA 18503, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tank Car (a few steps from this marker); Oil House (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Oil House Claremont & Concord Snow Plow #60 (within shouting distance of this marker); Oil House Foundation (within shouting distance of this marker); DL&W Coal Hoppers (within shouting distance of this marker); Long Island Railroad #193 Rotary Snow Plow (within shouting distance of this marker); CNJ #5 Steam Derrick (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scranton.
Also see . . . Steamtown National Historic Site. National Park Service site. (Submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 673 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.