Near Strasburg in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Pennsylvania Railroad No. 6755
The "Mountain" type of locomotive (4-8-2) first appeared on the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad in 1911. These locomotives excelled at hauling heavy freight trains at high speeds. The Pennsylvania Railroad adopted the M1 design in 1923 with the intention of using it to replace its slower fleet of L1 and II locomotives. Although it was larger than anything the railroad had built previously, the M1 relied on technologies and designs proven in earlier, smaller models.
Originally the M1 was to be used for both freight and passenger service. The entire fleet of M1 locomotives were decorated with the signature "keystone" style number plate typically used for passenger locomotives, rather than the standard round number plate used for freight locomotives. The entire class of locomotive was eventually used exclusively for freight service, owing to the locomotive's ability to accelerate tonnage quickly. M's were a familiar sight all across the railroad on the point of priority freight and express trains from the late 1920's to the end of steam in 1957.
Builder: Pennsylvania RR, Altoona, PA
Build Date: 1930
Retirement Date: January 1957
Wheel Arrangement: 4-8-2 "Mountain"
Class: M1B (Originally M1A)
Number built: 301
Weight of Engine: 385,000 lbs.
Length: (including tender) 109 ft.
Driving Wheel Diameter: 72 in.
Tractive Effort: 69,700 lbs.
Fuel Capacity: Coal: 35.1 tons, Water: 22,090 gal.
Boiler Pressure: 270 psi.
PHMC Catalogue No. RR79.40.12
* Listed on the National Register of Historic Places *
PRR No. 6755 was built in 1930 and ran until 1957, when the Pennsylvania Railroad retired all of its remaining steam locomotives.
This particular M1 is equipped with an oversized "coast-to-coast" tender, which enabled it to cover longer distances between water stops. A brakeman was assigned to the "dog house," a shelter situated on the top of the tender deck, where he would monitor the train's status. The tender itself is also equipped with a water scoop, which allowed the locomotive to take on water without actually stopping at a station. The locomotive would reduce its speed to about 45 miles per hour or less, after which the scoop would be dropped into a water-filled trough called a "track pan."
(Banner at Bottom):
No. 6755 is the largest surviving Pennsylvania Railroad steam locomotive.
Erected by Pennsylvania Railroad Museum.
Location. 39° 58.956′ N, 76° 9.685′ W. Marker is near Strasburg, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on Gap Road / Strasburg Road (Pennsylvania Route 741), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in front of the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Strasburg PA 17579, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pennsylvania Railroad No. 3750 (a few steps from this marker); Pennsylvania Railroad No. 460 (within shouting distance of this marker); Pennsylvania Railroad No. 7688 (within shouting distance of this marker); Strasburg Rail Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Reading Observation No. 1 (within shouting distance of this marker); Monongahela Railway No. 67 (within shouting distance of this marker); Lehigh Valley No. 40 (within shouting distance of this marker); Pittsburgh and Lake Erie No. 508 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Strasburg.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a photo showing the No. 6755 rests in her retirement at the Pennsylvania's Northumberland roundhouse. On the upper right a photo shows with its long-distance tender, No. 6755 was a tight fit on the turntable. On the lower right is a diagram of the long-distance tender. The long haul or "coast-to-coast" tender was nearly as large as the locomotive itself. Highlighted in blue, the waterscoop allowed water to be picked up on the run from pans between the rails. The automatic stoker, highlighted in yellow, kept the M1's enormous firebox filled with coal.
Also see . . . Pennsylvania Railroad Museum. (Submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,138 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Better photo of marker. • Can you help?