Adairsville in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Adairsville moved in 1848 to Adair Station (established 1846 by William Watts) but kept the name Adairsville, honoring the Indian Chief.
The Battle of Adairsville, sometimes known as the "Gravel House Battle" was fought May 17, 1864.
Adairsville was entered in the National Register of Historic Places Dec. 4, 1987. The nomination was prepared by the Sans Souci Club's Historical Committee: Lois S. Adams, Chairman, Carol T. Adams, Ovelle P. Barton, Odella R. Hayes, Martha K. Johnson, & Pansy O. Penfield.
Adsirsville Incorporated in 1854
Great Locomotive Chase - April 12, 1862
Location. 34° 22.074′ N, 84° 56.103′ W. Marker is in Adairsville, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street North and Cherry Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street North. Touch for map. This historical marker is located in downtown Adairsville, at the north end of the town's public square, on the west side of the street, just to the right of the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Great Locomotive Chase (within shouting distance of this marker); Mosteller's Mills (approx. half a mile away); Johnston's Army at Adairsville (approx. half a mile away); Federal Armies at Adairsville (approx. half a mile away); Major John Lewis (approx. 1.1 miles away); Historic Trimble House (approx. 1.2 miles away); McPherson’s Troops March to Barnsley’s (approx. 1.6 miles away); Original Site Adairsville — 1830’s (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Adairsville.
More about this marker. The famous Western & Atlantic railroad also ran right through the downtown district, with railroad tracks running along the Public Square, and the old railroad depot situated just to the south of both the "Old Courthouse" and the featured historic marker.
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,098 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 16, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.