Stockton in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
By concurrent legislative acts passed by New Jersey, February 18th, 1811 and by Pennsylvania, March 23rd, 1811, authority was granted the Centre Bridge Company to construct a bridge across the river at this point.
The original bridge was constructed of timber of the covered type and opened for travel in the Spring of 1814. The structure remained in service until struck by lightening July 22nd, 1923 and totally destroyed.
Through the efforts of Senators Clarence J. Buckman of Pennsylvania and David H. Agans of New Jersey, appropriations were secured for the purchase and rebuilding of the structure.
The joint commission of Pennsylvania and New Jersey purchased the propery November 6th, 1925 and constructed the present structure which was opened July 16th, 1927.
Samuels S. Lewis - President
S.E. Kaufman • Louis Focht • Fred R. Parker • Joseph Cooper • Walter I. Jacoby
Location. 40° 24.247′ N, 74° 58.729′ W. Marker is in Stockton, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker is on Bridge Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stockton NJ 08559, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Centre Bridge / Delaware and Raritan Canal Feeder (a few steps from this marker); Belvidere Delaware Railroad (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stockton Railroad (about 600 feet away); Bridge Street (about 700 feet away); Stockton Inn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stockton School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stockton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stockton Borough School (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stockton.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Colonial Era • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 755 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 20, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.