Bridgewater in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
By the latter part of the 18th century, petitions were made to New Milford for a separate ecclesiastical society, a request granted in 1803. A meetinghouse, the present Congregational Church, was erected in 1807. Most early settlers were Congregationalists, but other faiths were represented as well.
Early Bridgewater was divided into several districts, each having its own store, school, mills, and blacksmith and woodworking shops.
the Bridgewater Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Erected 1979 by Town of Bridgewater, Bridgewater Historical Society, Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 32.026′ N, 73° 21.934′ W. Marker is in Bridgewater, Connecticut, in Litchfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street South (Connecticut Route 133) and Center Street on Main Street South. Touch for map. Located in front of the Bridgewater Historical Society next to the Bridgewater Town Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Bridgewater CT 06752, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles Childhood Home of Capt. William D. Burnham (within shouting distance of this marker); Bridgewater Veterans (within shouting distance of this marker); Bridgewater WW I Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bridgewater WW II Memorial (about 300 feet away); The Orzech Family Preserve (approx. 2.2 miles away); Bridgeport Wood Finishing Company (approx. 2.3 miles away); Loverís Leap State Park (approx. 2.3 miles away); Falls Bridge (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bridgewater.
Also see . . . History of Bridgewater, Connecticut. (Submitted on June 30, 2009.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,298 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 25, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. 4, 5. submitted on March 3, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.