Portsmouth, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Portsmouth Public Library
The two libraries merged in 1963 and moved into the renovated 1909 Post Office at 601 Court Street. The Library added three branches: Cradock (1964), Churchland (1969) and Manor (1973). The Students Club still supports the Library, as do the local Lions and Kiwanis clubs. In support of Rotary International's emphasis on literacy, the Rotary Club of Portsmouth established its Birthday Book program in 1949 and has contributed a book for each member each year since, adding thousands of books to the collection.
Location. 36° 50.049′ N, 76° 18.048′ W. Marker is in Portsmouth, Virginia. Marker is on Court Street south of King Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Portsmouth VA 23704, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Church (within shouting distance Towne Square (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Norfolk County Court House (about 500 feet away); The Commodore Theatre (about 500 feet away); Confederate Monument (about 500 feet away); The 1846 Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Monumental Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Reverend Francis Devlin (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Portsmouth.
More about this marker. This marker is part of the Path of History.
Categories. • African Americans • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,027 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on June 30, 2009, by Kristin Rollins of Portsmouth, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.