Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ellicott City in Howard County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ellicott City Volunteer Fire Department

 
 
Ellicott City Volunteer Fire Department Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, June 25, 2009
1. Ellicott City Volunteer Fire Department Marker
Inscription.
Headquarters of Howard County Fireman’s Association
Incorporated 1927
• • •
Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works
Project No MD 100-F
• • •
Sponsors
Board of Commissioners
Howard County, Maryland

 
Erected 1939.
 
Location. 39° 16.11′ N, 76° 48.021′ W. Marker is in Ellicott City, Maryland, in Howard County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Hill Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8390 Main Street, Ellicott City MD 21043, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jonathan Ellicott Building (here, next to this marker); New Fire Station & Transit Terminal (a few steps from this marker); The National Road (within shouting distance of this marker); MaryLandscapes (within shouting distance of this marker); Ellicott’s Mills (within shouting distance of this marker); Baltimore Regional Trail (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Firehouse Museum (about 600 feet away); Taylor's Row (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ellicott City.
 
Also see . . .
Ellicott City Volunteer Fire Department Building image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, June 25, 2009
2. Ellicott City Volunteer Fire Department Building
 Ellicott City Volunteer Fire Department History. “At a regular meeting on August 24, 1888, authorization was granted to purchase a hand-drawn ladder wagon from the Charles T. Holloway Company, Baltimore, Maryland. Funds to cover the cost were received from public subscriptions. The Board of County Commissioners at their Tuesday, September 4, 1888 meeting, ordered that a donation of $100 be made to the local fire company.” (Submitted on July 6, 2009.) 
 
Categories. HeroesNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 6, 2009, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 809 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 6, 2009, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement