Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Nob Hill

East Union Street

 
 
Nob Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Cavinato, January 1, 2003
1. Nob Hill Marker
Inscription. Originally a part of the Capitol Block, which was set aside in 1864 for a Territorial Capitol Building, the south half of the block was sold at auction. John Lawler, a miner, capitalist and real estate developer, bought the entire block and built a "double house" on the east end of the block. The Lawler House is unique because it is one structure containing two houses divided down the middle from front to back along the lot line. It is also very plain, with none of the typical features of the popular Victorian architecture of the day. Between 1893 and 1899 he sold lots to three others, based on their financial and social status to create a San Francisco style "Nob Hill" district overlooking the town from the top of the hill.

Homes were built by Henry Goldwater, C.A. Peter and Jake Marks. The Henry Goldwater House at 217 E. Union, was built in 1894 in a Victorian Melange style. A conical roof on the southwest corner suggests a turret even though none actually exists. Goldwater was one of the brothers who founded Goldwater Mercantile Company. The C. A. Peter House at 211 E. Union was the last one to be built on the block. It is a Queen Anne interpretation of the Victorian style and is one of the most significant Victorians in Prescott. Mr. Peter was a cashier at the Bank of Arizona when he built the house in 1898. Jake Marks
Nob Hill Marker street view image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Cavinato, January 1, 2003
2. Nob Hill Marker street view
built his house in 1894. Although he was a wealthy cattle rancher and mine owner, he was also a wholesale liquor dealer, and Lawler would only sell him the last or "lowest" lot on the block. The Marks House at 203 E. Union is also a Queen Anne interpretation of the Victorian style, which includes a turret on the southwest corner of the house. All of these houses have been restored to varying extents and all are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected by The City of Prescott.
 
Location. 34° 32.442′ N, 112° 28.026′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is at the intersection of East Union Street and South Marina Street on East Union Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 Union Street, Prescott AZ 86301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Carnegie Library (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Goldwater Brothers Mercantile (about 400 feet away); The Day Octagon (about 500 feet away); Prescott High School and the Yavapai Club (about 500 feet away); Knights of Pythias Building (about 600 feet
Close-Up of Photo on Marker image. Click for full size.
By City of Prescott, circa 1900
3. Close-Up of Photo on Marker
away); Hassayampa Inn (about 600 feet away); Site of Howey's Hall (about 600 feet away); Prescott Public Library (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Prescott. Short descriptions and photos of the Marks House, The Goldwater House and other historic buildings in Prescott. (Submitted on July 9, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable BuildingsNotable Places
 
Henry Goldwater House - 1894, 217 East Union Street image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 6, 2010
4. Henry Goldwater House - 1894, 217 East Union Street
Henry Goldwater House - 1894, 217 East Union Street image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 6, 2010
5. Henry Goldwater House - 1894, 217 East Union Street
HRHP plaque is seen to the left of the entrance door.
The C.A. Peter House-1898, 211 East Union Street image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 6, 2010
6. The C.A. Peter House-1898, 211 East Union Street
The C.A. Peter House-1898, 211 E. Union Street image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 6, 2010
7. The C.A. Peter House-1898, 211 E. Union Street
NRHP Plaque is seen to the left of the entrance door.
The Marks House-1894, 203 East Union Street image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 6, 2010
8. The Marks House-1894, 203 East Union Street
The Marks House-1894, 203 East Union Street image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 6, 2010
9. The Marks House-1894, 203 East Union Street
NRHP Plaque is seen to the right of the entrance door.
Lawler-Hetherington House-1894, 223 East Union Street image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 6, 2010
10. Lawler-Hetherington House-1894, 223 East Union Street
Lawler-Hetherington House-1894, 223 East Union Street image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 6, 2010
11. Lawler-Hetherington House-1894, 223 East Union Street
NRHP Plaque is mounted on the wall at the top of the steps.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,161 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona.   3. submitted on July 9, 2009.   4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on July 13, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement