Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Philadelphia Brigade Park
During the fighting in the West Woods, the Philadelphia Brigade, commanded by Gen. O.O. Howard, lost more than 550 men in about twenty minutes of combat. Thirty years later the Philadelphia Brigade Association purchased eleven acres for their monument. The veterans decided to use the excess property around the monument to establish a public park. They planted trees, erected a gate, and in 1896 dedicated a monument in what is known today as Philadelphia Brigade Park. Over seventy feet tall, the Philadelphia Brigade Monument is the tallest monument on Antietam National Battlefield.
"They poured their blood out like water, and we must look to God and our country for a just reward."
Gen. O.O. Howard, Commander of the Philadelphia Brigade
"My comrades of the Philadelphia Brigade...you have erected a magnificent monument in honor of the private soldier who laid his life on the alter of his country in the time of need. No one could do more, and, therefore none more deserving of this honor. You have fittingly placed it on the field where so many brave comrades fell, and the imperishable nature of it is a guarantee that it will remain long after we have all passed away."
Capt. John E. Reilly,
monument dedication, September 17, 1896
Erected 2009 by Antietam National
Location. 39° 28.697′ N, 77° 44.946′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Dunker Church Road / Old Hagerstown Pike, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located at stop five of the driving tour of Antietam Battlefield, near the Philadelphia Brigade monument. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Philadelphia Brigade Monument (a few steps from this marker); The Onward Rush to Victory or Defeat (within shouting distance of this marker); "Back Boys, For God's Sake Move Back;" (within shouting distance of this marker); Brigadier General William E. Starke (within shouting distance of this marker); The Baltimore Battery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 3rd Delaware Infantry (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Baltimore Battery (about 300 feet away); Brockenbrough’s 2nd Baltimore, Maryland Battery (about 300 feet away); Jackson's Command (about 400 feet away); Longstreet's Command (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharpsburg.
More about this marker. The background of the marker shows
Also see . . .
1. Antietam Battlefield. National Park Service site. (Submitted on July 7, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Old Marker at this Location. This marker replaced one titled "We May Never Meet Again," located at the same spot. (Submitted on September 21, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. Oliver O. Howard. Oliver Otis Howard (November 8, 1830 – October 26, 1909) was a career United States Army officer and a Union general in the American Civil War. As a brigade commander in the Army of the Potomac, Howard lost his right arm while leading his men against Confederate forces at Fair Oaks in June 1862, an action which later earned him the Medal of Honor. (Submitted on October 16, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 874 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 7, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 16, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 5. submitted on July 7, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 6, 7. submitted on October 16, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 8. submitted on July 7, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.