Near Smithwick in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Henry Thomas Lodge, A.F. & A.M.
A. M. Cox erected this building in 1874. Minister Henry Thomas moved the Lodge (chartered June 15, 1865) from Turkey Bend, Texas to this place in 1876. A store occupied the lower floor.
Lodge obtained upper story at death of Mr. Cox, by his will. F. P. Lewis gave lower story in 1952.
Erected 1967 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9752.)
Location. 30° 32.573′ N, 98° 10.058′ W. Marker is near Smithwick, Texas, in Burnet County. Marker is on County Road 344, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. From Marble Falls take FM 1431 E approx. 8 miles to CR 344, then south on CR 344 approx. 2 miles. Road will dead-end at the lodge; marker is on front of building. Marker is in this post office area: Marble Falls TX 78654, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smithwick Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Rockvale (approx. 3.4 miles away); Dead Man's Hole Hoag-Faubion-Fuchs House (approx. 6.6 miles away); Otto Ebeling House (approx. 6.6 miles away); Christian-Matern House (approx. 6.6 miles away); Marble Falls Depot (approx. 6.7 miles away); Marble Falls Factory Site (approx. 6.7 miles away).
Also see . . . See Smithwick Cemetery. (Submitted on July 16, 2009, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
1. Charter Members
Burnet County History (Volume 1, Eakin Press, 1979) lists charter members as A.M. Cox, Christian Dorbandt, John F. Burton, W.B. Kirkwood, Elias Jackson, W.H. Holland, J.A. Harris, J. Vickers, H.O. Hensel, Calvin Hall and O.L. White.
— Submitted July 20, 2009, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2009, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,040 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 16, 2009, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.