Marietta in Washington County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site of the United States Fort Harmar
Headquarters 1786 and 1788 of
Gen. Josiah Harmar of PA.
Erected 1892 by New Century Historical Society.
Location. 39° 24.598′ N, 81° 27.449′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Ohio, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Fort Street and Fort Square, on the right when traveling north on Fort Street. Touch for map. This historical marker is located where the Muskingum River empties into the Ohio River, on the high north bank of the Ohio River, and on the west side of the Muskingum River. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta OH 45750, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lewis and Clark Expedition / Letter to the President (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Harmar (within shouting distance of this marker); Celoron de Blainville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pioneer Marietta (approx. ¼ mile away); The Forty-Eight Pioneers (approx. ¼ mile away); Ohio National Guard Armory (approx. ¼ mile away); Lockmaster’s House (approx. ¼ mile away); Southern Boundary Picketed Point (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Harmar. This link is published and made available by, "Ohio History Central," an online encyclopedia of Ohio History. (Submitted on July 11, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Josiah Harmar. This web link was both published and made available by, "Absolute Astronomy.com," in it's quest to enable "exploring the universe of knowledge" (Submitted on July 11, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 737 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 11, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.