Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Richmond in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

John Marshall's Farm

 
 
John Marshall's Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 10, 2009
1. John Marshall's Farm Marker
Inscription. Near this location stood Chickahominy Farm, the country residence of U.S. Chief Justice John Marshall. Spending weekends at the farm with his wife, Marshall wrote that farming provided many hours of "laborious relaxation." Born in 1775, Marshall fought in the Revolutionary War before studying law under George Wythe. As a Henrico County representative at the 1788 Virginia convention, Marshall voted for ratification of the U.S. Constitution. During his 34-year tenure as Chief Justice (1801-1835) Marshall continued his interest in farming, leading to his election in 1811 as president of the organization later known as the Agricultural Society of Virginia.
 
Erected 2005 by County of Henrico. (Marker Number HC-22.)
 
Location. 37° 34.423′ N, 77° 21.886′ W. Marker is near Richmond, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker can be reached from Clarendon Road near Mylan Road. Touch for map. This marker is located at the Armour House and Gardens in Meadowview Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4001 Clarendon Road, Richmond VA 23223, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cedar Hill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Cold Harbor Road
John Marshall's Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 10, 2009
2. John Marshall's Farm Marker
(approx. 1½ miles away); The Confederates Attack (was approx. 1½ miles away but has been reported missing. ); Holding the High Ground (approx. 1½ miles away); Site of Ellerson’s Mill (approx. 1½ miles away); Beaver Dam Creek (approx. 1½ miles away); Lee’s First Strike (approx. 1½ miles away); The Creek Runs Red (was approx. 1½ miles away but has been reported missing. ).
 
Also see . . .
1. Henrico County Recreation and Parks. The Armour House & Gardens at Meadowview Park. (Submitted on July 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 

2. Henrico County Historical Society. Past Preservation - Cedar Hill & Armour House. (Submitted on July 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. AgricultureNotable PersonsWar, US Revolutionary
 
Henrico County Meadowview Park image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 10, 2009
3. Henrico County Meadowview Park
Armour House at Meadowview Park image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 10, 2009
4. Armour House at Meadowview Park
Armour House circa 1915 image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 10, 2009
5. Armour House circa 1915
Carriage House image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 10, 2009
6. Carriage House
Cedar Hill circa 1820 image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 10, 2009
7. Cedar Hill circa 1820
This 19th-century farmhouse was moved from its original location on Old Creighton Road (1 mile south). It was the home of James D. Vaughan, who served in the 10th Virginia Cavalry.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,427 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement