Hagerstown in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected by Maryland Heritage Area.
Location. 39° 38.611′ N, 77° 43.152′ W. Marker is in Hagerstown, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of North Potomac Street (State Highway 65) and Franklin Street (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling south on North Potomac Street. Touch for map. Located on the old Junior Fire House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 North Potomac Street, Hagerstown MD 21740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ransom of Hagerstown (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Battle of Hagerstown (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Battle of Hagerstown (about 300 feet away); Treatment of the Wounded (about 400 feet Hagerstown (about 400 feet away); Gettysburg Campaign (about 400 feet away); Retreat from Gettysburg (about 500 feet away); Hagerstown Ransomed (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hagerstown.
More about this marker. In the upper right is a drawing of The Junior Hose Company, circa 1865. In the left center is another sketch of the fire house. This drawing of the Independent Junior Fire Company was sketched by Union soldier James Ireland of Company A, 29th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, while stationed in Hagerstown during the war. In the lower right is a photo of The firehouse as it appeared in 1894.
Also see . . . Crossroads of the Civil War. More information about the Civil War activities in Hagerstown and Washington County, Maryland. (Submitted on July 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,058 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.