Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hagerstown in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Retreat from Gettysburg

 
 
Retreat from Gettysburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 5, 2009
1. Retreat from Gettysburg Marker
Inscription. Zion Reformed Church was a stronghold for the Confederates on their retreat from Gettysburg on July 6, 1863. General Robert E. Lee passed through Hagerstown during the Confederate occupation following the Battle of Gettysburg. General George Armstrong Custer observed Confederate movements from the church's bell tower on July 12th, after his Michigan cavalry brigade forced the occupying Confederates to the western edge of town. A Confederate sniper fired at Custer in the bell tower, but missed him and hit one of the tower's bells.
 
Erected by Maryland Heritage Area.
 
Location. 39° 38.682′ N, 77° 43.098′ W. Marker is in Hagerstown, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of North Potomac Street (State Highway 65) and Church Street, on the right when traveling south on North Potomac Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 North Potomac Street, Hagerstown MD 21740, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jonathan Hager (a few steps from this marker); Zion Evangelical and Reform Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Military Occupation (about 500 feet away,
Retreat from Gettysburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 5, 2009
2. Retreat from Gettysburg Marker
measured in a direct line); Ransom of Hagerstown (about 600 feet away); The Harmon Hotel (about 800 feet away); Washington County Jail (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named Washington County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Second Battle of Hagerstown (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hagerstown.
 
More about this marker. On the lower left is a drawing of Zion Church as it appeared during the Civil War. In the lower center is a photo of One of Zion's Church Bells. On the right is a photo of Brigadier General George A. Custer.
 
Also see . . .  Zion Evangelical and Reform Church. Some history of the church and buildings. (Submitted on July 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
Zion Evangelical and Reformed Church image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 5, 2009
3. Zion Evangelical and Reformed Church
Looking at the Church from Church Street. According to the NRHP documentation for the church, the bell tower seen here is was rebuilt at the location of the original. Later in the 1880s the church's orientation was changed to allow entrance from Potomac Street rather than Church Street. Later changes added entrances on the north side of the Church.
Church Tower Built in 1774 and Rebuilt 1867 image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 5, 2009
4. Church Tower Built in 1774 and Rebuilt 1867
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,021 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement