Hagerstown in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Zion Evangelical and Reform Church
December 6, 1775 - Captain Jonathan Hager, Sr. died from an accident resulting from fallen timbers while helping to build the church.
1785 - The church bells were cast in Holland containing several metals including silver.
Captain Wilhelm Heyser, builder of the church, led a company of Germans in the American Revolution. Guns, powder, tomahawks, grain, and blankets collected here were sent by wagon to General Washington. Eleven patriots of the American Revolution are buried in the church yard.
July, 1863 - General George Custer used the bell tower as a signal post after the Battle of Gettysburg.
Location. 39° 38.705′ N, 77° 43.08′ W. Marker is in Hagerstown, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of North Potomac Street and Church Street, on the right when traveling south on North Potomac Street. Touch for map. Located at the north entrance to the Church. Marker is at or
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jonathan Hager (within shouting distance of this marker); Retreat from Gettysburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Military Occupation (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Harmon Hotel (about 700 feet away); Ransom of Hagerstown (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Washington County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bloom Park (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hagerstown.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 938 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 4, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on July 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.