Dallas in Paulding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The March of Hardee’s Corps, May 23-25, 1864
This moving left flank of Gen. J. E. Johnston’s army [CS] sought to checkmate the right of Sherman’s army [US] marching from Kingston in a wide circuit via Van Wert to Dallas.
Hood’s corps [CS], following Hardee’s from the Etowah, reached New Hope Church, May 25, in time to intercept Hooker’s troops US] in their move toward this position.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 110-16.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 57.399′ N, 84° 47.424′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Georgia, in Paulding County. Marker is on Bobo Road near Hosiery Mill Road, on the right when traveling north. The marker is located in a small park with several other markers, at the edge of the New Hope Baptist Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dallas GA 30132, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of New Hope Church (a few steps from this marker); Atlanta Campaign (a few steps from this marker); New Hope Church Phase of Atlanta Campaign (a few steps from this marker); Polk’s March to Lost Mountain (a few steps from this marker); Dedicated to the Confederate Soldiers (within shouting distance of this marker); New Hope Battlefield (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of New Hope Church Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Worst Aircraft Disaster in Georgia History (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for The March of Hardee’s Corps, May 23-25, 1864.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,013 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.