Hagerstown in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Treatment of the Wounded
After the Battles of Antietam and Gettysburg, the military treated the wounded in private homes and commercial buildings such as the Franklin Hotel, Washington House on West Washington Street, the Hagerstown Male Academy on South Prospect Street, and at the Key-Mar College on King Street.
Erected by Maryland Heritage Area.
Location. 39° 38.557′ N, 77° 43.196′ W. Marker is in Hagerstown, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on North Potomac Street (State Highway 65), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hagerstown MD 21740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Battle of Hagerstown (a few steps from this marker); Second Battle of Hagerstown (a few steps from this marker); Hagerstown (within shouting distance of this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); A City Divided (within shouting distance Hagerstown Ransomed (within shouting distance of this marker); Ransom of Hagerstown (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Ransom of Hagerstown (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hagerstown.
More about this marker. On the upper right is a portrait of Dr. Norman B. Scott. In the lower right is a photo of the Key-Mar College, circa 1860. In the lower center and left is a photo of the Franklin Hotel from around 1908.
Also see . . . Crossroads of the Civil War. More information about the Civil War activities in Hagerstown and Washington County, Maryland. (Submitted on July 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 926 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.