Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Genoa in Douglas County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Judge Daniel Webster Virgin

July 4, 1835 – August 19, 1928

 
 
Judge Daniel Webster Virgin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
1. Judge Daniel Webster Virgin Marker
Inscription. Served as first elected judge of Douglas County from 1864 – 66. Later on he served as District Attorney and Superintendent of Schools.

While in the practice of law he was considered one of the foremost jurists of his time and was engaged in the famous case of Van Sickle vs. Haines.
Snowshoe Thompson Chapter 1827
E Clampus Vitus
July 28, 1990

 
Erected 1990 by Snowshoe Thompson Chapter 1827, E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 39° 0.296′ N, 119° 50.755′ W. Marker is in Genoa, Nevada, in Douglas County. Marker can be reached from Jacks Valley Road/Main Street (Nevada Route 206) near 5th Street. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on the wall of the Genoa Courthouse Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2304 Main Street, Genoa NV 89411, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Pony Express (a few steps from this marker); John A. “Snowshoe” Thompson (a few steps from this marker); Genoa (within shouting distance of this marker); Carson Trail - Original Mormon Station
Genoa Courthouse Museum image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
2. Genoa Courthouse Museum
Marker is located on building above the Pony Express Marker seen in photo.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Mormon Station (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mormon Station - Genoa (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named John A. “Snowshoe” Thompson (about 400 feet away); About Your Journey... (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Genoa.
 
Also see . . .  The Genoa Courthouse Museum Brochure. (Submitted on July 12, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
 
Additional comments.
1. The Genoa Courthouse Museum - Location of Marker
The Genoa Courthouse Museum displays many interesting pieces of Genoa and Douglas County History. The building served as the Courthouse and housed the Sheriff’s Office and the jail. When the County Seat was moved to Minden the building was then used as a school. In addition to the Daniel Virgin marker, a Pony Express and a Showshoe Thompson marker are also located on the grounds.
    — Submitted July 12, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.

 
Categories. GovernmentNotable PersonsNotable Places
 
Wedding Photo of Judge and Mrs. Daniel W. Virgin image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 25, 2009
3. Wedding Photo of Judge and Mrs. Daniel W. Virgin
Photo on Display at the Mormon Station State Historic Park Museum.
Court Room Where Judge Virgin Presided image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
4. Court Room Where Judge Virgin Presided
Verification Certificate of Daniel Virgin’s Election to Office of Justice of Peace image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 25, 2009
5. Verification Certificate of Daniel Virgin’s Election to Office of Justice of Peace
[This certificate is on display at the Mormon Station State Historic Park Museum.]

This document is signed by the first Territorial Governor James W. Nye (1861-64) and Territorial Secretary Orion Clemens, brother of Samuel Clemens, (Mark Twain).
Original Genoa Jail image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
6. Original Genoa Jail
Here in the jail area visitors can see the original cells used from 1865 until 1916. The stove was used after the turn of the century to heat the jail room. The steel privy in the corner was used by prisoners as they contemplated a “cleaner life”. The ball & chains, each 20 inches in circumference and weighing 33 pounds, were used in the 1880s as prisoners were allowed out of their cells for exercise.

The jail was not always divided up the way it is now. Prisoners were taken out of their cells to “exercise” in the open room that is now divided into separate exhibit spaces.

Before the courthouse was restored and converted into a museum, there was a hole in the ceiling above the left-handed cell.

A prisoner had climbed up on top of the cell, when he was let out for exercise, and tried cutting an escape hole in the ceiling.

The unlucky prisoner discovered a half-inch thick steel plate above the dummy ceiling which separated the jail from the courtroom above.
Douglas County Sheriffs image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
7. Douglas County Sheriffs
Pony Express Exhibit image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
8. Pony Express Exhibit
Hearthstone of Home of “Snowshoe” Thompson image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
9. Hearthstone of Home of “Snowshoe” Thompson
This is the hearthstone from the home of “Snowshoe Thompson” at Diamond Valley, Ca. Thompson’s real name was “Tom Torsteinson Rui” which he changed to ‘John A. Thompson’.
This stone is the property of Snowshoe Thompson Lodge 78, Sons of Norway, Yuba City, Ca.
Old Genoa Post Office image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
10. Old Genoa Post Office
The Sheffield Bell No.19 image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
11. The Sheffield Bell No.19
On June 16, 1858, the families of Arnold Trimmer and Frank Walker who both traveled west to Nevada in the same wagon train arrived in Carson Valley and settled in the town of Genoa. This bell, which was sandcast in Sheffield, England in 1865 was shipped via clipper ship around the horn and up to San Francisco, thence by wagon freight over the Sierras to Genoa. Here it was planned to grace the belfry of the newly, proposed Catholic Church. On the same day that the wagonload of lumber arrived for the church, the exciting news of a rich, gold strike in California spread like wildfire through the Carson Valley and by morning of the following day there was no around capable of building the proposed church, so the leading townspeople decided to use the lumber and the bell for a much needed schoolhouse, which stood about four blocks north and west of here. Mr. Trimmer, who is one of the Carson Valley Historical Society’s trustees, attended the school as a young boy. About 1916, the original schoolhouse was vacated and all the furniture and the bell was moved here to the courthouse. The bell has been traditionally rung on Independence Day.
School Room Exhibit image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
12. School Room Exhibit
Sign at Entrance image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
13. Sign at Entrance
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,284 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 12, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   3. submitted on July 29, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   4. submitted on July 12, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   5. submitted on July 29, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   6, 7, 8. submitted on July 12, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on July 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement