Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
[ DAR Emblem ]
This Tablet Erected By
De Soto Chapter
Marks the tree under which tradition say's
Parleyed with the Indians
Erected 1926 by Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 27° 56.767′ N, 82° 27.826′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker can be reached from University Drive near West Kennedy Boulevard.. Touch for map. Opposite Tampa Bay Hotel, University of Tampa Campus. Marker is in this post office area: Tampa FL 33606, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tampa Bay Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Tampa Bay Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Tampa Bay Hotel, 1891 (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Brooke Battery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); United Spanish War Veterans (about 400 feet away); The Spanish Fort 400th Anniversary of the Landing of Panfilo de Narvaez (about 500 feet away); Babe's Longest Homer (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
Also see . . . DeSoto, Wikipedia entry. In May 1539, de Soto landed nine ships with over 620 men and 220 surviving horses at at present day Shaw's Point, in Bradenton, FL. He named it Espíritu Santo after the Holy Spirit. The ships brought priests, craftsmen, engineers, farmers, and merchants; some with their families, some from Cuba, most from Europe and Africa. Few of them had ever traveled outside of Spain, or even their home villages.Hernando de Soto left port and traveled north, exploring Florida's West Coast, enduring native ambushes and conflicts along the way. (Submitted on July 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,466 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.