Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hagerstown in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Retreat from Gettysburg

 
 
Retreat from Gettysburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 5, 2009
1. Retreat from Gettysburg Marker
Inscription. St. John's Lutheran Church was erected in 1795. During the Civil War on July 6, 1863, cavalry of both armies clashed in the streets of Hagerstown from noon until dark. Observers recorded that the streets were full of dead and wounded soldiers and dead horses and the buildings were pock-marked with bullet holes.

Confederate troops occupied the town until July 12, when driven out by Union forces including General George Armstrong Custer's Michigan cavalry brigade, which forced the Confederates out to the western edge of town. Federal General Oliver O. Howard (later a founder and early president of Howard University) observed Confederate positions south of town from the St. John's church bell tower.
 
Erected by Maryland Heritage Area.
 
Location. 39° 38.414′ N, 77° 43.31′ W. Marker is in Hagerstown, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on South Potomac Street (State Highway 65), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located next to the St. John's Lutheran Church. Marker is in this post office area: Hagerstown MD 21740, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elliott-Bester House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Last Confederate Incursion North of the Potomac River
Marker at the Church Entrance image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 5, 2009
2. Marker at the Church Entrance
(about 600 feet away); The Ransom of Hagerstown (approx. 0.2 miles away); A City Divided (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hagerstown Ransomed (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named A City Divided (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Brown (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hagerstown (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hagerstown.
 
More about this marker. In the lower left is a drawing of St. John's Church as it appeared in the years before the Civil War. In the center is a portrait of Major General Howard. To the right is a View of Hagerstown, circa 1870, looking north up Potomac Street taken from the St. John's bell tower.
 
Also see . . .  Crossroads of the Civil War. More information about the Civil War activities in Hagerstown and Washington County, Maryland. (Submitted on July 15, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Plaque on Side of Church image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 5, 2009
3. Plaque on Side of Church
Lutheran Church
Distinguished for its
Significant Service
Selected by the Lutheran Brotherhood Bond
View of the Church and Tower Today image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 5, 2009
4. View of the Church and Tower Today
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 810 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 15, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement