Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ehrhardt in Bamberg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Ehrhardt Hall

Bed and Breakfast

 
 
Ehrhardt Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2009
1. Ehrhardt Hall Marker
Inscription. Ehrhardt Hall was built in 1903 with Victorian style architecture. The owner, Dr. James Haynes Roberts, born March 2, 1863, was originally from the Allendale area. Following in his father's footsteps, who was a self taught dentist and 2nd lieutenant in the Confederate Army, James graduated from Medical College of Charleston in 1887 after graduating from the Citadel in 1883. After beginning his practice in the Allendale area of Barnwell County, he decided to relocate to the booming town of Ehrhardt after his 1st wife, Laura Barber Roberts had died with their 2nd child. He purchased a large farm tract with her inheritance and processed lumber from the farm to build this house on a separate parcel of 3½ acres.The large support beams were made from pine and exterior siding, from cypress. It has 6 bedrooms with private bathrooms, as well as, formal living room, formal dining room, large kitchen, and 2 guest ½ bath. James and his 2nd wife, Laura Furman Roberts, occupied the house with their 6 children. Dr. Roberts used the front downstairs bedroom for his medical office and treatment room. If one of his patients required overnight attention, they used the upstairs bedrooms. The wrap-around porch became the waiting area. Having been very well received in Ehrhardt, James persuaded his brother, Robert, to build the house across the street
Ehrhardt Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 5, 2009
2. Ehrhardt Hall Marker
, which was completed in 1908. Subsequently, he donated the land next to it, to the Methodist Church, which named the church, St. James Methodist Church, in his honor. James became very active in the town's leadership, church leadership, and businesses. He opened a pharmacy on the main street. Later, he became the first person to sell house lots to African-Americans. Consequently, the southern suburbs of Ehrhardt are often referred to as Robertsville. Then suddenly in 1920, after treating patients for extended periods of time with the Spanish Flu, he succumbed to a heart attack on July 18. 1920. Family members occupied the house until 1987 when it was sold for conversion to a Bed and Breakfast in 1989. The 2nd owner died shortly after, in 1984. The current owners, Shirley and Frank Ogle began operation in 1988.
 
Erected by State of South Carolina Heritage Corridor.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor marker series.
 
Location. 33° 5.543′ N, 81° 0.845′ W. Marker is in Ehrhardt, South Carolina, in Bamberg County. Marker is on Broxton Bridge Road (U.S. 601) near College Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3764 Broxton Bridge Road, Ehrhardt SC 29081, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Bedrooms and small group dining image. Click for full size.
By Ehrhardt Hall Marker, July 5, 2009
3. Bedrooms and small group dining
At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Conrad Ehrhardt Railroad Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mt. Pleasant Church (approx. 1.5 miles away); St. Johns Baptist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Bonnie E. Cone (approx. 3.8 miles away); John Jacob Heyer (approx. 4.7 miles away); Colleton County Confederate Soldiers (approx. 4.8 miles away); Our Confederate Dead (approx. 4.8 miles away); A Tradition of Remembering, A Legacy of Preservation (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ehrhardt.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkNotable Buildings
 
Formal Dining Room and the Pool image. Click for full size.
By Ehrhardt Hall Marker, July 5, 2009
4. Formal Dining Room and the Pool
Ehrhardt Hall and Marker along US 601 image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 5, 2009
5. Ehrhardt Hall and Marker along US 601
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,025 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 18, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement