Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Michigan's Tribute to Kentucky
Memory of the heroes who
Lost their lives in our country's defense,
Battle and Massacre of the River Raisin,
January 22nd, and 23rd, 1813.
Erected 1904 by The State of Michigan.
Location. 41° 54.657′ N, 83° 24.149′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of South Monroe Street and West 7th Street on South Monroe Street. This historic marker is located several (seven) blocks south of the River Raisin, just south of the downtown business district, on the major north-south thoroughfare of the community. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Monroe MI 48161, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Memorial Place (a few steps from this marker); Historical Museum (approx. 0.4 miles away); Joseph Loranger 1817 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Doctor Eduard Dorsch (approx. 0.4 miles away); Monroe's Soldiers First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Monroe County Since 1817 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Editor Ellis, 1825 (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
More about this marker. It might be of interest to note that this historical marker is located at an early community cemetery, but at first glance it is easy to miss this feature because initially the gravestone markers are not noticed. However, if one walks a short distance behind the monument you will begin to notice gravestones (many dating back to the mid-1800s) that are horizontal and flat to the surface, rather than vertical.
Also see . . . Battle of Frenchtown. This web link is published and made available by "Friends of the River Raisin Battlefield." (Submitted on July 19, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Heroes • War of 1812 •
More. Search the internet for Michigan's Tribute to Kentucky.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 19, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,088 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 19, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.