Near Dallas in Paulding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Polk’s Corps at Dallas and New Hope Church
After return of Hardee’s A.C. [CS] from Powder Springs (May 25), Polk’s troops formed the center of Johnston’s line facing the Federal lines to the West.
When deployed, Polk’s left was at Wigley’s Mill in gap of Ellsberry Mtn.; his center & rt. at & above New Hope Ch. -- a position he held in the 10 days of conflict mostly fought on the left & right of the army.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 110-20.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 54.551′ N, 84° 46.755′ W. Marker is near Dallas, Georgia, in Paulding County. Marker is on Merchants Highway (Georgia Route 6) near Marietta Highway (Georgia Route 120), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Georgia Highway 6 is old US Highway 278, through the center of Dallas. Marker is in this post office area: Dallas GA 30132, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site: Robertson House (about 500 feet George Darby House Cleburne’s H’dq’rs. (approx. 1.7 miles away); Henry Lester House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Site: Colley House Hood’s H’dq’rs (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Hiram Rosenwald School (approx. 2.3 miles away); Confederate Line (approx. 2.4 miles away); Johnston's Headquarters (approx. 2.7 miles away); Federal Line (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 19, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 968 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 19, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.