Walhalla in Oconee County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The English School
Walhalla, in what was Pickens District until Oconee County was created in 1868, was founded by the German Colonization Society of Charleston in 1850 and boasted as many as 500 German settlers by 1855. The first school offering instruction in English opened in a frame building on Church Street between mid-1850 and late 1852. It was described in January 1853 as "a good English school on the square attended by twenty German Children."
Prof. G.H.D. Cramer was the first teacher at this elementary school for younger German children. In late 1853, St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church was formally organized with Rev. Carl F. Bansemer as its first pastor and as professor at the English school. Bansemer was also professor of a classical academy founded in 1857. When he left Walhalla in 1860, Prof. Cramer resumed teaching at the English school and remained until his death in 1874.
Erected 2007 by Oconee County Arts & Historical Commission. (Marker Number 37-15.)
Location. 34° 45.905′ N, 83° 4.148′ W. Marker is in Walhalla, South Carolina, in Oconee County. Marker is on South Church Street north of Short Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Walhalla SC 29691, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. John A. Wagener Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Johnís Lutheran Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. John A. Wagener (within shouting distance of this marker); Patriot's Hall: Oconee Veterans Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Oconee County Veterans Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonel R.T. Jaynes (about 500 feet away); Combat Infantrymen Monument (about 500 feet away); The Silver Rose (about 500 feet away); Duty, Honor, Country (about 500 feet away); Oconee Heritage Center (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Walhalla.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 19, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 650 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 19, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 3, 4. submitted on April 25, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.