Toledo in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
50th Anniversary of Michigan - Ohio Boundary Survey
S. S. Gannet
Frank B. Willis
- - - - -
Erected by Authority of
The 81st General Assmebly
Act of May 27, 1915
By Ohio Topographic Survey
C. E. Sherman Inspector
Jointly with the state of
[Michigan Side of Marker]
Woodbridge N. Ferris
- - - - -
Erected by authority of
The 48th Legislature
Act 84 Public Acts of 1915
By Michigan Geological Survey
R. C. Allen, Director
Jointly with the state of
Governor of Michigan - - Governor of Ohio
50th ANNIVERSARY OF
MICHIGAN - OHIO BOUNDARY SURVEY
Location. 41° 43.962′ N, 83° 27.82′ W. Marker is in Toledo, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is at the intersection of Edgewater Drive and Lost Peninsula Marina Drive, on the right when traveling north on Edgewater Drive. Touch for map. To get to this historical marker take Summit Street in Toledo to 131st Street and drive from there to Edgewater Drive and then head north to the "State Line" historical marker. Marker is in this post office area: Toledo OH 43608, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Michigan-Ohio Boundary Survey 50th Anniversary (here, next to this marker in Michigan); Canal Terminus / Manhattan (approx. 3.3 miles away); "War" With Happy Ending (approx. 4 miles away in Michigan); James B. Steedman (approx. 4.9 miles away); Peter Navarre (approx. 5.2 miles away); George Duncan Forsyth (approx. 5.4 miles away); Private Mark Wood (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Great Trail (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toledo.
More about this marker. This historical marker, that marks the boundary between Ohio and Michigan, is located in the Lost Peninsula. The Lost Peninsula,
The lower plaque was provided by The Ohio Society of Professional Engineers and Michigan Societies of Professional Engineers and Registered Land Surveyors and the Michigan Engineering Society in 1965.
Regarding State Line. Regarding this historical marker, in book entitled "The Toledo War," author Don Faber states the following: "On November 24, 1915, Michigan governor Woodbridge Ferris and Ohio governor Frank B. Willis met at the end of Point Place Road, now known as Edgewater Drive, in the Lost Peninsula. Standing before the American flag, the governors declared that the "War of the States" had finally ended and dedicated a monument that pinpoints the Ohio-Michigan boundary line. A survey marking the state line was finished in 1915 after taking three months; the last land marker to be erected, post 70, was the one the governors dedicated on the Lost Peninsula....."
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .
1. Toledo War. This link is published and made available by, "Ohio History Central," an online encyclopedia of Ohio History. (Submitted on July 22, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Toledo War. This link not only goes into great detail regarding the causes and effects of the Toledo War, both locally and nationally, but also, in the "Subsequent History" section of this link, it discusses the reasons for the 1915 Survey and shows a picture of the two governors shaking hands over this very marker. (Submitted on July 22, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Landmarks • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,024 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 22, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.