Barnesville in Belmont County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
B&O Railroad Tunnel
The station, rail, tunnel, and grounds were purchased by the community in 1991 after the line was abandoned. They are on the National Register of Historic Places.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) marker series.
Location. 39° 59.244′ N, 81° 10.536′ W. Marker is in Barnesville, Ohio, in Belmont County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (Ohio Route 147) and Arch Street, on the left when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barnesville OH 43713, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Barnesville Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); September 11, 2001 (within shouting distance of this marker); Barnesville War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Village Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); VFW Post 2792 Veterans Memorial Roby Cigar Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor Wilson Shannon 1802-1877 / Barnesville’s Shannon Family (approx. 0.4 miles away); Watt Car and Wheel Company (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Barnesville.
Regarding B&O Railroad Tunnel. Main and Arch streets cross over the tunnel. Two small triangular plazas at opposite ends of the intersection end at the tunnel entrances and you can look down over either railing down to the former railbed below. The old B&O right-of-way through town is now a bicycle and walking trail.
Also see . . . 200 years of Barnesville. 2008 article by Anne Chlovechok in The Daily Jeffersonian. “In 1870 the railroad tunnel was completed, and in 1872 the first fire department was organized. The year 1874 saw the construction of an artificial gas works, and gas lights were first lit that year on Christmas night. In 1875, 4,000 bushels of strawberries and 2,000 bushels of raspberries were shipped from the town. City Hall was built in 1876 with a huge public auditorium on the second floor. In 1878, the (Submitted on July 23, 2009.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,863 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 22, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on July 23, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.