The National Mall in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Canal Connection
The Canal ventures proved to be an expensive investment. The Washington Branch of the C&O Canal and the Washington City Canal carried so little commerce that they were abandoned 30 years after construction. Railroads, not canals, dominated transportation in the nineteenth century. In the 1870s the long process of filling these canals began.
Artist’s view of Washington City Canal about 1850, showing the canal route west of the Capitol.
This Canal house built at Lock B by 1833, sheltered the lockkeeper who also collected tolls and kept records of commerce on the waterway. It remains today as the only remnant of the Washington Branch of the C&O Canal. (Photograph ca. 1910).
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20006, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lock Keeper’s House (here, next to this marker); The Washington City Canal (here, next to this marker); Bulfinch Gate House (within shouting distance of this marker); Ysabel I, La Catolica (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Home of the Pan American Union (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in The National Mall.
More about this marker. Marker is in front of the Lock Keeper's House, to the right of the door.
Also see . . . The Mall. Has a link to a map showing what was also known as the Tiber Canal. (Submitted on March 28, 2006.)
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 4,556 times since then and 262 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 28, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 2. submitted on August 17, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 3. submitted on March 28, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 4. submitted on August 12, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5. submitted on January 6, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.