Norfolk, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The electric streetcar debuted in Norfolk in 1894, and neighborhoods were established along the route. Many Granby Street residents moved to the new suburb of Ghent, and businesses of every kind replaced their former homes. By 1910, Granby Street surpassed Main Street as Norfolk’s busiest shopping district. From 1976 to 1986 part of Granby was closed to vehicular traffic and renamed Granby Mall. Granby Street declined through the 1990s, but with the opening of Tidewater Community College and MacArthur Center it has been revitalized with residences, theaters, and restaurants.
Erected by City of Norfolk.
Location. 36° 50.808′ N, 76° 17.532′ W. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Norfolk VA 23510, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Four Farthing or Town Point (within shouting distance of this marker); The Customhouse, 1859 (within shouting distance of this marker); Main Street (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Flood Protection for Downtown Norfolk (about 500 feet away); Monticello Hotel, 1898 (about 500 feet away); Margaret Douglass (about 500 feet away); The Cedar (about 600 feet away); Half Moone Fort, 1673 (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norfolk.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 28, 2009, by Kristin Rollins of Portsmouth, Virginia. This page has been viewed 720 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 28, 2009, by Kristin Rollins of Portsmouth, Virginia. 2. submitted on October 13, 2011, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. 3. submitted on July 28, 2009, by Kristin Rollins of Portsmouth, Virginia. 4. submitted on June 8, 2015, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. 5. submitted on October 7, 2015. 6. submitted on June 8, 2015, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. 7. submitted on October 7, 2015. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.