Watsonville in Santa Cruz County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Judge John Howard Watson
Soon after his arrival, Watson was elected to the State Assembly but resigned in 1850. A month later he was elected judge of the Third District which was comprised of Contra Costa, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties. He resigned again the next year, apparently always looking for greener pastures.
In 1852 Fecundo Rodriguez sold two square leagues of the Rancho de los Rodriguez, or Bolsa del Pájaro, to Judge Watson and Durell Gregory for $400. Later that same year, Sebastian Rodriguez sold “all of the one undivided half part of that tract of – Rancho Bolsa de los Rodriguez” to them for $4,000. This was the site of the village of Pájaro, the future Watsonville.
In 1861, Judge Watson left Watsonville for Nevada and was never to return. He became Justice of the Peace in Mountain City after trying his hand at mining. He died in Elko, Nevada on August 2, 1882.
Location. 36° 54.769′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Watsonville CA 95076, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Patricks Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Apple Annual (about 400 feet away); Where Strawberries are Sweeter (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Mansion House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lest We Forget (approx. 0.2 miles away); This Gun Was Used (approx. Ľ mile away); The Lettunich Building (approx. Ľ mile away); Judge Julius Lee House (approx. Ľ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Watsonville.
Also see . . . City of Watsonville Website. (Submitted on July 28, 2009.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 28, 2009. This page has been viewed 728 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 28, 2009. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.