Norfolk, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Navy Escort Carriers Based in Norfolk
The first Escort Carriers (CVEs) were converted oilers or built on merchant ship hulls and were originally used to train pilots, ferry aircraft, and provide air cover for ship convoys bound for Europe. Realizing their potential as an offensive weapon, these versatile little ships, their air squadrons, and destroyer escorts were formed into "hunter-killer" groups to search for German U-boats in the North Atlantic, including along the US Atlantic coast. The U-boat "wolf packs" were taking a heavy toll of ships, sinking 1,158 in 1942. The hunter-killer groups sank one enemy submarine in late 1942, twenty-seven in 1943, twenty-one in 1944 (plus the capture of U-505), and five through April 1945. The Germans surrendered May 7, 1945.
Erected by City of Norfolk.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Norfolk Heritage Cannonball Trail marker series.
Location. 36° 50.738′ N, 76° 17.657′ W. Marker is in Norfolk, Virginia. Marker is on Waterside Drive near Boush Avenue. Touch for map. This marker is located in Town Point Park. Marker is in this post office area: Norfolk VA 23510, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Battle of Ironclad Ships, 1862 (within shouting distance of this marker); Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway (within shouting distance of this marker); Armed Forces Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Norfolk 1682 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Half Moone Fort, 1673 (about 400 feet away); The Cedar (about 400 feet away); Downtown Waterfront Revitalization (about 400 feet away); The Cannonball Trail (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norfolk.
More about this marker. This marker is part of the Norfolk Heritage Cannonball Trail.
Categories. • Military • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,157 times since then. Last updated on July 29, 2009, by Jeff Conner of Norfolk, Virginia. Photo 1. submitted on November 11, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.