Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Shiloh in Hardin County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Willard's Battery

“A” 1st Illinois Light Artillery - W.H.L. Wallace's Division

 

—Army of the Tennessee —

 
Willard's Battery Tablet image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, March 16, 2009
1. Willard's Battery Tablet
The battery was commanded by Lieutenant Peter P. Wood at the battle.
Inscription.
U.S.
Willard's Battery,
"A" 1st Ill. Lt. Art., W.H.L. Wallace's (2d) Div.,
Army of the Tennessee.

This battery was engaged here from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. April 6, 1862 when it retired to the landing.
 
Erected by Shiloh National Military Park Commission. (Marker Number 105.)
 
Location. 35° 8.039′ N, 88° 19.904′ W. Marker is near Shiloh, Tennessee, in Hardin County. Marker is on Hamburg-Savannah Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Located at stop 14, the bloody pond, of the driving tour of Shiloh National Military Park. Marker is in this post office area: Shiloh TN 38376, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bruce's Brigade (here, next to this marker); Batteries H and M, 4th U.S. Artillery / Battery H, 5th U.S. Artillery (here, next to this marker); Terrill's Battery (a few steps from this marker); 28th Illinois Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Bloody Pond (within shouting distance of this marker); 16th Wisconsin Infantry (within shouting
Willard's Battery Position image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, March 16, 2009
2. Willard's Battery Position
The battery is represented by two, and the only two at Shiloh, 3-inch Ordnance Rifles.
distance of this marker); 12th Illinois Infantry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 9th Indiana Infantry (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shiloh.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Muzzle of 3-inch Rifle image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, March 16, 2009
3. Muzzle of 3-inch Rifle
The muzzle of this piece displays the standard markings for an 3-inch Ordnance Rifle, similar to those used on regulation artillery pieces after 1861. The markings indicate the weapon was cast in 1862, by Pheonix Iron Works of Pennsylvania. It is registry number 339, weighing 816 pounds, and inspected by Theodore T.S. Laidley. The registry number matches records of a gun captured by General Custer's cavalry in the Shenandoah Valley in November 1864. So these artillery pieces did move around somewhat after the war.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 757 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 1, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement