Locust Grove in Henry County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Locust Grove Institute
1894 - 1929
Supported largely by the Flint River Association assisted by other Associations under a representative Board of Trustees, it was taken over by the Georgia Baptist Convention in 1917. Under Mr. and Mrs. Gray and an able faculty, this short-lived institution rose to a leading position in Southern education and was among the first to be accredited by the Southern Education Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges. Discontinued in 1929 because of diminishing patronage and support resulting from the large expansion of public education, Locust Grove Institute lives in the minds, hearts, and accomplishments of hundreds of graduates.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 075-8.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 21.152′ N, 84° 6.774′ W. Marker is in Locust Grove, Georgia, in Henry County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 23 and School Drive, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 23. Touch for map. US Highway 23 is also Georgia Highway 42. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3644 Highway 42 S, Locust Grove GA 30248, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The March to the Sea (approx. 2 miles away); Ringold Community (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Huey UH-1H Was the Work Horse of Vietnam (approx. 6.1 miles away); Miller's Saw Mill Replica (approx. 6.2 miles away); Steam Locomotive (approx. 6.2 miles away); Lane's Place (approx. 6.2 miles away); Clements Log Cabin (approx. 6.2 miles away); McDonough Public Library (approx. 6.2 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker stands at the road, in front of the former Locust Grove Institute, now the Locust Grove Municipal Complex.
Categories. • 20th Century • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 953 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.