Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Butts County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Right Wing at Jackson

 
 
The Right Wing at Jackson Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 1, 2009
1. The Right Wing at Jackson Marker
Inscription. On the night of Nov. 17, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of General Sherman’s army [US], which had marched south from Atlanta on Nov. 15th on its destructive March to the Sea, reached Jackson. Hq. Department and Army of the Tennessee (the Right Wing), Maj. Gen. O.O. Howard, USA, and the headquarters of both corps were established in town.

Woods’ and Hazen’s divisions of the 15th Corps (Osterhaus), which had turned south below Locust Grove to avoid Jackson, camped near Liberty Church (6 miles SW); Smith’s division moved through Jackson to Flovilla (5 miles SE); Corse’s division, encumbered with wagon trains, reached Jackson the next day.

Mower’s and Leggett’s divisions of the 17th Corps (Blair) camped east of Jackson; G.A. Smith’s division, accompanied by the 1st Missouri Engineers (with a pontoon train), marched via the Key’s Ferry road and camped near Worthville (9 miles NE).

Kilpatrick’s cavalry division, which had moved down Towaliga River to threaten Griffin and Forsyth, camped near that stream. That night, Osterhaus sent the 29th Missouri Mounted Infantry to seize the ferry at Planters’ Factory, on the Ocmulgee River at Seven Islands (9 miles SE), and to secure both banks of the river at that point for passage of the troops the next day.
 
Erected 1957 by
The Right Wing at Jackson Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 1, 2009
2. The Right Wing at Jackson Marker
Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 018-2.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Shermans March to the Sea marker series.
 
Location. 33° 17.67′ N, 83° 58.016′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Georgia, in Butts County. Marker is on West 3rd Street (U.S. 23) 0 miles west of Mulberry Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is in front of the Butts County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson GA 30233, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Crossing the Ocmulgee (here, next to this marker); Butts County (a few steps from this marker); Jackson (within shouting distance of this marker); Butts County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Sylvan Grove Plantation (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Sylvan Grove Plantation (approx. 0.9 miles away); Iron Springs (approx. 3.5 miles away); Indian Spring (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
The Butts County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 1, 2009
3. The Butts County Courthouse
"The Right Wing at Jackson" marker stands to the left of the entrance to the 1898 Butts County Courthouse; two other markers ("Crossing the Ocmulgee" and a Blue Star Memorial Highway marker) stand to the right.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 979 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement