Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Montgomery

A Category 1 Historic Building

 
 
The Montgomery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 2, 2009
1. The Montgomery Marker
Inscription. This classic landmark building was built in 1914 as the headquarters for the San Francisco Call, a leading newspaper of its time.

This building was restored and re-dedicated as modern homes and shops by a committed team of developers, architects, contractors, engineers and craftsmen. It is our wish that all who live and work here in the 21st Century and beyond will continue to love and appreciate The Montgomery as much as we did.
February, 2008
New Urban Properties, LLC
and
The Montgomery Team

 
Erected 2008 by New Urban Properties, LLC and The Mongomery Team.
 
Location. 37° 47.265′ N, 122° 24.058′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker is at the intersection of New Montgomery Street and Jessie Street, on the right when traveling south on New Montgomery Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 74 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco CA 94105, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sharon Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Jose P. Rizal (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct
The Montgomery image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 2, 2009
2. The Montgomery
line); California Admission Day (about 500 feet away); Hobart Building (about 600 feet away); William Randolph Hearst (about 700 feet away); Luisa Tetrazzini (about 700 feet away); The Mechanics’ Institute (about 700 feet away); Site of First California State Fair (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
 
More about this marker. The marker is located to the right of the front entrance on New Montgomery Street.
 
Regarding The Montgomery.

• The newspaper was published from 1856 to 1895 as The Morning Call, and then became The San Francisco Call. In 1913, the paper merged with the Evening Post and became The San Francisco Call & Post. In 1929, the paper became The San Francisco Call-Bulletin, after merging with The San Francisco Bulletin. In 1959 the paper merged with the San Francisco News, becoming the News Call-Bulletin. In 1965 the paper was bought out by the San Francisco Examiner.

Mark Twain wrote briefly for The Call in 1864.
 
Also see . . .  The Montgomery. The developer's website for the development. Minimal historic content. (Submitted on August 5, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 874 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 5, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement