Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Shiloh in Hardin County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Army of the Mississippi

General Albert Sidney Johnston

 
 
Army of the Mississippi Tablet image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, March 16, 2009
1. Army of the Mississippi Tablet
Inscription.
C.S.
Army of the Mississippi.
General Albert Sidney Johnston (killed).
General G. T. Beauregard.


First Corps, Maj. Gen. Leonidas Polk.
Second Corps, Maj. Gen. Braxton Bragg.
Third Corps, Maj. Gen. Wm J. Hardee, (Wounded).
Reserve Corps, Brig. Gen. John C. Breckinridge.

The Confederate Army, known as the "Army of the Mississippi," with a total of officer and men present for duty, 43,968, marched from Corinth and deployed in line of battle Saturday, April 5, 1862. General Hardee's Corps formed the first line at right angles with the Corinth Road near Wood's field. General Bragg's Corps formed the second line 800 yards in rear of the first. General Polk's Corps was in column of brigades in front of General Johnston's headquarters established at junction of Bark and Corinth Roads. General Breckinridge's Corps was in rear along the road toward Mickey's.

The battle commenced at 4.55 a.m. Sunday, April 6, 1863, by an attack upon Hardee's picket post in front of his center. The Confederates advancing, drove the Union army slowly back all day, capturing four division camps, and at dark held a position extending from the Tennessee River south of Dill Branch to mouth of Tilghman Creek. General Johnston was mortally wounded at 2.30 p.m. and General Beauregard took command. The Union army
Orientation Tablets at the Visitor Center image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain
2. Orientation Tablets at the Visitor Center
was reenforced during the night. On Monday the Confederates were in turn driven back until at 4 p.m. April 7, 1862 they retired from the field.

The casualties, in the Army of the Mississippi, during the battle were, killed 1728, wounded 8012, missing 959; Total 10699.
 
Erected by Shiloh National Military Park Commission. (Marker Number C 1.)
 
Location. 35° 9.073′ N, 88° 19.328′ W. Marker is near Shiloh, Tennessee, in Hardin County. Marker is on Pittsburg Landing Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located next to the visitor center at Shiloh National Military Park. Marker is in this post office area: Shiloh TN 38376, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Army of the Tennessee (here, next to this marker); Army of the Ohio (here, next to this marker); 55th Illinois Infantry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battery H, 1st Illinois Light Artillery (about 300 feet away); Illinois Cavalry (about 300 feet away); Fourth Division (about 400 feet away); Shiloh National Cemetery (about 400 feet away); Fifth Division (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shiloh.
 
More about this marker. This is one of three duplicated
Explaination of the Tablet System at Shiloh image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain
3. Explaination of the Tablet System at Shiloh
Shiloh features a rather complex set of tablets to interpret the movements of the armies. Each army uses a different color scheme - blue for the Army of the Tennessee, yellow for the Army of the Ohio, and red for the Confederate Army of the Mississippi. The different shapes of the tablets indicate which day the action described took place. "House" shaped tablets indicate camp sites.
tablets in the park outlining the actions of the Army of the Mississppi.
 
Also see . . .  Army of the Mississippi. Organization and brief description of the actions of the Army of the Mississippi. (Submitted on August 5, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Protection of the National Military Parks image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain
4. Protection of the National Military Parks
A tablet on the end of the cluster provides the full text of an Act passed by Congress on March 3, 1897 which provided for protection of the military parks. The five original parks were Chickamauga-Chattanooga, Shiloh, Gettysburg, Antietam, and Vicksburg.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 699 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 5, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2, 3. submitted on August 4, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4. submitted on August 5, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement