Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The “Haunted” Pillar of the Lower Market
Erected 1996 by The Reverend Pierre Robert Chapter, National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
Location. 33° 28.377′ N, 81° 57.527′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street (U.S. 25) and 5th Street, in the median on Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birthplace of the Augusta Chronicle (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. James United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 Jefferson Davis Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Academy of Richmond County (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Signer's Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Richmond County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Army National Guard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Augusta ~ Fort Cornwallis / St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Regarding The “Haunted” Pillar of the Lower Market. The pillar standing near this marker is neither original, nor in the original spot. The original pillar was destroyed in an automobile accident in 1935. It was rebuilt by local business owners, and moved to its present location.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,764 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on June 6, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.