Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lewis and Clark

 
 
Lewis and Clark Marker image. Click for full size.
By Zachary Hinton, August 2007
1. Lewis and Clark Marker
Inscription. Meriwether Lewis arrived March 16, 1803. Oversaw building of collapsible iron framed, skin-clad boat and acquired supplies, tomahawks, and rifles. Left for Pennsylvania on April 18; returned July 7 to gather materials and left next day for Pittsburgh. Followed Ohio to Falls; met William Clark for trip to explore and study land, waterways, animal life, natural features and resources of West.
 
Erected 2002 by West Virginia Division of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lewis & Clark Expedition marker series.
 
Location. 39° 19.411′ N, 77° 43.813′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Potomac Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker is located inside the area of downtown Harpers Ferry that is operated by the National Park Service. Marker is in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. White Hall Tavern (a few steps from this marker); Armory Grounds (a few steps from this marker); Hayward Shepherd (within shouting distance of this marker); Harper's Ferry History
Lewis and Clark Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 12, 2007
2. Lewis and Clark Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Six Acres That Changed the World (within shouting distance of this marker); John Brown Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Short-lived Sanctuary (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of Joseph Perkins (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
 
More about this marker. The marker is located across from a building used as a museum of the activity of Meriwether Lewis in Harpers Ferry.
 
Categories. EnvironmentExplorationNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable Persons
 
Meriwether Lewis Exhibit in Lower Town image. Click for full size.
By Zachary Hinton, August 2007
3. Meriwether Lewis Exhibit in Lower Town
This is Frederick A. Roeder's Store in the Lower Town of Harpers Ferry. Originally constructed in 1856, it was used as a warehouse or bar until 1865. It now houses the National Park Service's exhibit on Meriwether Lewis, who got supplies at Harpers Ferry for his journey into the West.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 23, 2007, by Zachary Hinton of Carneys Point, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,676 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 23, 2007, by Zachary Hinton of Carneys Point, New Jersey.   2. submitted on May 5, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3. submitted on August 23, 2007, by Zachary Hinton of Carneys Point, New Jersey. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement