Chapin in Lexington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Peter Church
SC Gen. Assembly incorp. this Lutheran church 17 Dec. 1794. Frederick Josephus Wallern served as 1st pastor. Today's church, dedicated 1936 is the 3rd building.
Erected 1995 by St. Peter Lutheran Church, Bicentennial Committee. (Marker Number 32-26.)
Location. 34° 8.539′ N, 81° 24.383′ W. Marker is in Chapin, South Carolina, in Lexington County. Marker is at the intersection of Dreher Road and Long Pine Road, on the right when traveling south on Dreher Road. Touch for map. Marker is located on the front (east) side of the church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 Dreher Road, Chapin SC 29036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Spring Hill (approx. 7.3 miles away); Rev. Joachim Bulow. (approx. 7.4 miles away); St. Paul Lutheran Church (approx. 7½ miles away); St. John's Church (approx. 7.9 miles away); Pomaria (approx. 8.3 miles away); Peak (approx. 8.4 miles away); Confederate Veterans (approx. 8.6 miles away); Folk-Holloway House (approx. 8.7 miles away); Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary (approx. 9.1 miles away); Hope Rosenwald School (approx. 9.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Welcome to St. Peter Lutheran Church, Chapin, SC. St. Peter Lutheran Church, founded in 1794, is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). (Submitted on August 9, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Brief History of St. Peter Lutheran Church, Chapin, SC
St. Peter (Piney Woods) Lutheran Church will. celebrate its bicentennial in 1994. The actual movement for a church in the Piney Woods community began in 1793. Peter Schumpert, Ulrich Mayer, Thomas Frick and others were walking home from St. John's Church, Pomaria and began to discuss the organization of a church nearer their homes.
Peter Schumpert started searching for a piece of land. He and Ulrich Mayer discovered and surveyed the parcel which the present church now occupies. The survey was made immediately for a title and a grant was obtained on May 5, 1794. A church edifice was built during the summer. The congregation was organized and incorporated by an act of the Legislature December 17, 1794. Rev. Joseph Wallern organized the church and served as its first pastor until 1809.
St. Peter's was given its name in honor of Peter Schumpert who first proposed a church in his community and took the initiative
The first church stood where the present cemetery now exists. It was built of logs. The timbers were cut on the church laud. The dimensions were said to have been 25 feet by 35 feet. The pews were splitlogs with peglegs. The first church served the congregation for forty years.
The second church, 35 by 45 feet was built of sawed lumber in 1854. It was a two story structure. The building had three doors, one on each side and one at the west end. The men entered from the right of the goblet shaped pulpit, and the women from the left. Each gender sat on its side of the church. Slaves entered from the ends and were seated In the gallery.
This church had several renovations and an enlargement. On June 1, 1924 the congregation began investigating new building operations. On July 2, 1925 a contract was given to Mr. J.E. Cannon and Mr. D.A. Cannon, contractors, for $7.475. Much work, and timber was donated. The ground breaking was on July 16th and the first brick laid on August 3rd. The corner stone was placed at a service on August 23rd, with construction completed and opening services held on August 15, 1926. The cost is estimated at $40,000.
The Pastors of St. Peter's
1. Rev. Frederick
2. Rev. Harman Winkhouse (1809-1918)
3. Rev. Michael Rauch (1819-1833)
4. Rev, Godfrey Dreher (1833-1852)
5. Rev. Daniel Efird (1853-1882)
6. Rev. Jacob Killian Efird (1883-1893)
7. Rev. J.G. Schaid (1893-1895)
8. Rev. A.R. Beck (1895-1902)
Rev. E.L. Lybrand served at intervals during vacancies.
9. Rev. Benjamin David Wessinger (1903-1904)
10. Rev. Enoch J. Sox (1905-1915)
11. Rev. Martin Luther Pence (1915-1918)
12. Rev. Brady L. Stroup (1919-I921)
13. Rev. Wilbur H. Riser (1921-1923)
14. Rev. David L. Miller (1924-1934)
15. Rev. Samuel J. Wessinger (1934-1940)
16. Rev. H.G.C. Park (1941-1947)
17. Rev. John I. Zeigler (1949-1982)
18. Rev. Boyd Cook (1982-1987)
19. Rev. Dr. Robert Thompson, Jr. (1988-????)
Submitted by: Jennie Frick Cannon - Member of St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Chopin, SC. (Source: Dutch Fork Digest Newsletter, Vol. VII, No. 2, Apr-May-Jun 1992.)
— Submitted August 10, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,477 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. submitted on August 9, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.