New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
National Historic Landmark
—Louisiana State Museum —
Don Gilberto Guillemard, architect.
Constructed financed and directed by Don Andres Almonester y Roxas.
The mansard roof was added in 1847.
The illustrious Cabildo (Spanish colonial city council) held its sessions here in the Sala Capitular from May 10, 1799 until Nov. 30, 1803. The building housed the city hall of New Orleans, 1803-1853, and the supreme court of Louisiana, 1853-1910.
Until 1914, the prison at the rear was used as a jail servicing the police station on the first floor.
Louisiana State Museum since 1911.
Here on December 20, 1803, were signed the documents transferring the Louisiana Purchase Territory from France to the United States. In 1825 the Cabildo was converted into a fine residence for the visiting General Lafayette.
On this site stood a French colonial Corps de Garde [police station] - 1724 - and a prison and criminal court room (chambre criminelle) - 1730.
The Corps de Garde, rebuilt in 1751, burned in 1788. The remains of its massive brick walls were incorporated in the present Cabildo building in 1795.
The first Cabildo building was constructed here in 1769 by the Spanish governor, Don Alexandro O’Reilly and destroyed in the conflagration of March 21, 1788. Restored 1966-1970 for
Orleans Parish Landmark Commission: Leonard V. Huber, President; Raymond A. Mix; Harold J. Smith. Jr.; Gasper J. Schird; Sidney L. Villeré; Samuel Wilson, Jr.
Logo of the Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission
The Cabildo has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark.
Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935, this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustration the history of the United States.
U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service.
Erected 1963 by the Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission and the National Park Service.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 29° 57.452′ N, 90° 3.83′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Chartres Street and St. Peter Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker panels are on the wall near the building's main (Louisiana State Museum) entrance, off the Chartres Street sidewalk, across from Jackson Square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 701 Chartres Street, New Orleans LA 70116, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. David Bannister Morgan (a few steps from this marker); Upper Pontabla Building (a few steps from this marker); Literary Landmark (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson Square - Vieux Carré (within shouting distance of this marker); Victor David House (within shouting distance of this marker); Quartier General de la Garde Municipale (within shouting distance of this marker); Commagère – Mercier House (within shouting distance of this marker); Cathedral of St. Louis, King of France (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. The Homer Adolph Plessy Marker
Also see . . . Louisiana State Museum. The Louisiana State Museum also occupies the Presbytère, the Cabildo's twin edifice on the opposite side of the St. Louis Cathedral, and manages other Landmark buildings adjacent to Jackson Square. (Submitted on August 10, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Franco-Americans; Creoles; Homer A. Plessy; Presbytère.
Categories. • African Americans • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,036 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 10, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 6. submitted on August 11, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.