Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Georgia’s First School of Medicine

 
 
Georgia’s First School of Medicine Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 1990
1. Georgia’s First School of Medicine Marker
Inscription. The property on which the Widows Home is located was the site of Augusta’s first City Hospital. Constructed in 1818, the hospital provided for the “sick poor” of Augusta and later evolved into the present University Hospital. At City Hospital, Georgia’s first school of medicine opened its doors as the Medical Academy of Georgia on October 1, 1829. This location served as an academic facility until 1835, when the school, then renamed the Medical College of Georgia, was moved to the building standing at the corner of 6th and Telfair Streets.
 
Erected 1981 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 121-49.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 28.08′ N, 81° 57.097′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Greene Street 0 miles east of 2nd Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Troop K Georgia Cavalry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of Governor Telfair (approx. Ľ mile away); Bicentennial Augusta, Ga
Georgia’s First School of Medicine Marker along Greene Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2010
2. Georgia’s First School of Medicine Marker along Greene Street
(approx. Ľ mile away); Thankful Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); De L Aigle Brick Yard (approx. 0.3 miles away); Veterans of All Wars (approx. 0.3 miles away); De L Aigle Brick Yards (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. James United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USCharity & Public WorkEducationScience & Medicine
 
Georgia’s First School of Medicine and Marker (Left) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 16, 2010
3. Georgia’s First School of Medicine and Marker (Left)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 965 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on May 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement