Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Parris Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Parris Island Lighthouses

 
 
Parris Island Lighthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 26, 2008
1. Parris Island Lighthouses Marker
Inscription. In 1878, the United States built two lighthouses and a lighthouse keeper's home on Parris Island. The 45-foot tall Front Light was located on the southeastern tip of the island. Seen from the boardwalk, this area is the forested promontory to the right. The taller Rear Light was built in the center of Parris Island, almost two miles northwest of this location. Two beacons were used to guide ships into Port Royal Sound. The lighthouses were decommissioned in 1912, and were dismantled in the 1930s when an air station was built on Parris Island.

 
Erected by U.S. Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island.
 
Location. 32° 18.352′ N, 80° 40.531′ W. Marker is in Parris Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker can be reached from Balleau Wood Road, on the left. Touch for map. Along boardwalk, south hiking trail, at Balleau Wood Rd. circle. Marker is in this post office area: Parris Island SC 29905, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Parris Island Lighthouses (a few steps from this marker); The First Inhabitants (within shouting distance of this marker); Aqui Estuvo Espaņa (within shouting distance
Parris Island Lighthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 26, 2008
2. Parris Island Lighthouses Marker
Seen along the boardwalk
of this marker); Parris Island Indians (within shouting distance of this marker); Jean Ribault Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort San Marcos (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort San Marcos & The Ribaut Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Charlesfort-Santa Elena Site (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Parris Island.
 
Also see . . .  The Parris Island Range Lights. (Submitted on August 11, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable PlacesWaterways & Vessels
 
Elevation of the front Light operated at Parris Island until 1912. image. Click for full size.
By Parris Island Lighthouses Marker
3. Elevation of the front Light operated at Parris Island until 1912.
Rear Light, as mentioned image. Click for full size.
By Parris Island Lighthouses Marker, June 26, 2008
4. Rear Light, as mentioned
Parris Island Lighthouses , last remains of keepers house image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 26, 2009
5. Parris Island Lighthouses , last remains of keepers house
---house coordinates: 32.305321,-80.676293
Parris Island Lighthouses , Oil House image. Click for full size.
6. Parris Island Lighthouses , Oil House
The oil house serving the rear beacon still stands, and is the oldest surviving structure on Parris Island.
Parris Island Lighthouses image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 26, 2009
7. Parris Island Lighthouses
Looking the direction of where the Front light once stood
Parris Island forest area image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 26, 2008
8. Parris Island forest area
About 3,000 acres are habitable, of which 1,645 are developed. The Depot manages about 1,400 acres of forest and about 3,816 acres of wetlands.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,081 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on August 11, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement