Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Cathedral of St. Louis, King of France

 
 
Cathedral of St. Louis, King of France Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, July 4, 2009
1. Cathedral of St. Louis, King of France Marker
Inscription.
[Cast at the top of the marker is a rendering of the church]
Church of St. Louis, 1727-1788

Cathedral
of
St. Louis, King of France

The first church on this site designed by Adrien de Pauger was erected 1724-1727 and was destroyed in the great fire of 1788.

The second church - a gift of Don Andres Almonester y Roxas designed in Gilberto Guillemard - begun in 1788 and dedicated as a cathedral on Christmas Eve 1994.

The church served until it was enlarged and essentially rebuilt 1849-1851 from designs of J.N.B. de Pouilly, architect.

Designated as the metropolitan church of the archdiocese of New Orleans in 1850.

On December 9, 1964, Pope Paul VI bestowed upon it the rank of Minor Basilica.

Dedicated May 1, 1966 in honor of the 250th anniversary of the founding of New Orleans and in commemoration of service for 175 years of the diocese est. April 25, 1793.

[At the bottom of the marker is a emblem of the Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission]
 
Erected 1966 by Orleans Parrish Landmarks Commission.
 
Location. 29° 57.476′ N, 90° 3.807′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana
Cathedral of St. Louis, King of France Marker - image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, July 14, 2009
2. Cathedral of St. Louis, King of France Marker -
visible on the building, between the lamp posts, lower right of photo.
, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Place John Paul II (Chartres Street), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 615 Pere Antoine Alley, New Orleans LA 70116, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Presbytère (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson Square - Vieux Carré (within shouting distance of this marker); David Bannister Morgan (within shouting distance of this marker); Quartier General de la Garde Municipale (within shouting distance of this marker); Lower Pontalba Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cabildo (within shouting distance of this marker); Faulkner House (within shouting distance of this marker); Upper Pontabla Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
 
More about this marker. The marker is on the wall northeast of the main (Place John Paul II) entrance to the cathedral - between St. Ann and St. Peter Streets, and across Place John Paul II from Jackson Square in the city's French Quarter - a.k.a. the Vieux Carré.
 
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia entry for the St. Louis Cathedral, New Orleans. (Submitted on August 11, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Wikipedia entry for St. Louis (Louis IX , King of France)
Basilica Cathedral of St. Louis, King of France image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, July 14, 2009
3. Basilica Cathedral of St. Louis, King of France
- view from across Jackson Square (the colonial Plaza de Armas) with the landmark Cabildo and Presbytére buildings on its left and right, respectively.
. (Submitted on August 11, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
 
Additional keywords. Roman Catholicism; Diocese of Louisiana and the Floridas.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraNotable Buildings
 
Interior memorial to the visit of His Holiness Pope John Paul II, September 12, 1987 image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, July 14, 2009
4. Interior memorial to the visit of His Holiness Pope John Paul II, September 12, 1987
Dedication 200 Years image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 1, 2012
5. Dedication 200 Years

Cathedral of St. Louis
King of France

(A Minor Basilica)

In observance of the
American Revolution Bicentennial
1975-1976

This historic church was restored
through the generosity of
the people of God of the
Archdiocese of New Orleans

The Most Rev. Philip M. Hannan
Archbishop

Rededicated April 25, 1976
on the 183rd anniversary
of the creation of the Diocese
of Louisiana and the Floridas
with New Orleans as the See City.

Luis Peñalver y Cárdenas,
First Bishop 1793-1801
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,453 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 11, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   5. submitted on April 13, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement