Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Philomath in Oglethorpe County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Liberty-Salem-Woodstock-Philomath

 
 
Liberty-Salem-Woodstock-Philomath Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 30, 2002
1. Liberty-Salem-Woodstock-Philomath Marker
Inscription. This ancient Church has served under four names and in four counties. Liberty Presbyterian Church was organized by the Rev. Daniel Thatcher, about 1788. The original place of worship, a log house, was erected near War Hill, about seven miles from the present site. The church was called “Liberty”, because, though built by Presbyterians, all orthodox denominations were allowed to use it. The Presbytery of Hopewell, formed Nov. 3, 1796, held its first session in Liberty Church on March 16, 1798. Soon after 1800, the log house was abandoned, and a new structure erected at the top of Starr’s Hill on the old Greensboro Post Road. The name of the church was then changed to Salem. The Rev. Francis Cummins was the first minister to preach there. This building was used until 1834, when the location of the Greensboro road was changed, and a new church edifice was erected at the site of the present Phillips Mills Baptist Church. The Rev. S. J. Cassels was the first pastor, followed by the Rev. Francis R. Goulding. In 1848, the Salem church building was sold to the Baptists, and the entire Presbyterian membership moved to Woodstock, now Philomath, where a new church edifice had been built. The Rev. John W. Reid was pastor at the time of the removal.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission
Liberty-Salem-Woodstock-Philomath Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 3, 2011
2. Liberty-Salem-Woodstock-Philomath Marker
. (Marker Number 109-5.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 43.65′ N, 82° 59.526′ W. Marker is in Philomath, Georgia, in Oglethorpe County. Marker is on Crawfordville Road (Georgia Route 22) 0.1 miles east of Philomath Woodville Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rayle GA 30660, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bethesda Baptist Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); Rock Methodist Church Wilkes County (approx. 6.3 miles away); Kettle Creek Battlefield (approx. 6.6 miles away); The Battle of Kettle Creek (approx. 6.6 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Kettle Creek (approx. 6.6 miles away); Phillips Mills Baptist Church (approx. 7½ miles away); Kettle Creek Battleground (approx. 8.7 miles away); Great Buffalo Lick (approx. 9.1 miles away).
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.
 
Liberty-Salem-Woodstock-Philomath Marker and Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 3, 2011
3. Liberty-Salem-Woodstock-Philomath Marker and Church
Built c.1848
Liberty-Salem-Woodstock-Philomath Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 3, 2011
4. Liberty-Salem-Woodstock-Philomath Church
Liberty-Salem-Woodstock-Philomath Church Window image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 3, 2011
5. Liberty-Salem-Woodstock-Philomath Church Window
Liberty-Salem-Woodstock-Philomath Church Window image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 3, 2011
6. Liberty-Salem-Woodstock-Philomath Church Window
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 678 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 7, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement