Near Charlottesville in Albemarle County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Albemarle County / Greene County
Greene County. Formed from Orange County in 1838, this rural Piedmont county was named for Gen. Nathanael Greene, Revolutionary War military hero. The county seat of Greene County is Stanardsville. William Donoho and William B. Phillips, master builders who had learned the classical vocabulary from Thomas Jefferson while constructing the University of Virginia, designed the Greene County courthouse in 1838.
Erected 2003 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Z-15.)
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 38° 11.49′ Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Charlottesville VA 22911, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Advance Mills (approx. 2.4 miles away); Ruckersville (approx. 3.2 miles away); Orange County / Greene County (approx. 3.3 miles away); First Buck Mountain Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Earlysville Union Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Southwest Mountains Rural Historic District (approx. 5.9 miles away); Proffit Historic District (approx. 6.1 miles away); Governor James Barbour (approx. 6.6 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker replaced a marker from the 1930s with the same number and titles, but inscribed as follows.
Albemarle County. Area 751 Square Miles. Formed in 1744 from Goochland, and named for the Earl of Albemarle, titular governor of Virginia 1737–1754. Thomas Jefferson was born in this county and lived in it.
Greene County. Area 155 Square Miles. Formed in 1838 from Orange, and named for General Nathanael Greene, commander of the Army of the South in the Revolutionary War.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 859 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 12, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.